Rules of Student Medical Challenge Bowl GAPA Summer Conference
1. Each PA Program in the state of Georgia may register one team.
2. Each team will consist of two students from their respective schools.
3. All team members must be student members of GAPA and currently enrolled in an accredited PA program in the state of Georgia.
4. At least 75% of all PA students enrolled at the participating team’s PA program must be student members of GAPA.
5. All team members must be registered for the GAPA conference.
6. Each team member must be from a different graduating class.
7. Only one team member can be graduating within 30 days of the GAPA challenge bowl competition.
8. Each team will have at least one faculty representative.
9. At least one faculty representative from each team will be in attendance at the challenge bowl competition and must be a GAPA member.
10. The competition will consist of various medical questions which will be read out loud by the Challenge Bowl moderator. The source of medical information for the questions will be various popular, current medical texts.
11. A question will be read once, or until the first team buzzes in, then that team will be acknowledged by the moderator. The moderator will not complete the question if a team buzzes in before the full question is read. The recognized team will then have 10 seconds once recognized by the moderator to answer the question. The emcee will announce when the 10 seconds is over and it is time to give an answer.
12. The panel of judges consists of one faculty representative from each of the PA programs who will assist the moderator in determining when there is an answer in dispute.
13. The recognized team may not ask for the question to be repeated during their 10 seconds, but can ask for a specific clarification to a part of the question. It is up to the emcee and judging panel whether or not to answer the clarification request, which will be based on whether or not the clarification is deemed an advantage to the recognized team over the other two teams.
14. If the question is answered incorrectly, then the question will be repeated for the remaining teams or until another team buzzes in. The remaining teams will only have five (5) seconds to provide a correct answer.
15. Team members must speak loudly and clearly into the microphone. If the moderator questions the pronunciation of an answer, s/he may request the team to spell the word in question. If the spelling is correct, points are awarded. If the pronunciation and spelling are ruled incorrect (by judging panel), the other teams will be given the opportunity to answer the question as in rule 14 above.
16. A team will receive two points for each question answered correctly by the team and negative one point for each question answered incorrectly.
17. If there is a tie between two teams at the end of the allotted questions, then a five-question tiebreaker competition will commence with the tied teams as the participants.
18. The validity of all answers is to be decided by the judges present at the competition. Each respective program will submit the name of the faculty member that will act as a member of the judging panel. The decision of the judges is final.
19. The team with the greatest number of points at the end of the allotted questions, and/or the tiebreaker questions, will be declared the winner.
20. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated from team members or audience supporters to include but not limited to screaming out the answer and violators will be asked to leave the event.
21. The GAPA Challenge Bowl trophy (and bragging rights) will belong to the program that wins the competition for one year. The trophy will then be fought after again in the Annual Challenge Bowl competition and change hands (if the same program does not win again). Participants who win the Challenge bowl competition will be given an award.
22. We encourage each program to come with lots of school spirit and cheer on their respective teams! Decorations are allowed.
23. Please email Christy Wilson at email@example.com with any questions.
24. Buzzer System is subject to change BUZZIN.LIVE
25. PA programs must complete the online registration including Faculty Judge by the DEADLINE in order to participate.
26. Information provided on the online registration form will be verified by the GAPA student conference committee to determine eligibility