In devastating news, the Georgia Speaker of the House, David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge), passed away Wednesday after a brief illness. Speaker Ralston was an exceptional leader, statesman, and most importantly, friend to us all. He had previously announced that he had decided not to run for the position of Speaker of the House of Representatives again, resulting in a caucus election for that position.
Over the past few days, Georgia Republican Senators and Representatives elected new leaders for the 2023-2024 term.
On Monday, the House Republican Caucus in the House of Representatives selected:
- Speaker*: John Burns (R-Newington) former Majority Leader
- Speaker Pro Tempore: Jan Jones (R-Milton) continuing to serve as Speaker Pro Tempore
- Majority Leader: Chuck Efstration (R-Dacula) Judiciary Committee Chairman
- Majority Whip: James Burchett (R-Waycross ) Judiciary NonCivil Committee Chairman
- Majority Caucus Chair: Bruce Williamson (R-Monroe) continuing service as caucus chairman
- Majority Caucus Vice Chair: Houston Gaines (R-Athens)
- Majority Caucus Secretary/Treasurer: Ginny Ehrhart (R-Marietta)
- President Pro Tempore: John Kennedy (R-Macon) current chair of redistricting and reapportionment
- Majority Leader: Steve Gooch (R-Dahlonega) recent majority whip, current vice chair of transportation
- Majority Whip: Randy Robertson (R-Catula); current chair of retirement
- Majority Caucus Chair: Jason Anavitarte (R-Dallas); current vice chair of education and youth
- Majority Caucus Vice-Chair: Matt Brass (R-Newnan); current chair of the banks and banking and vice chair of regulated industries
- Majority Caucus Secretary/ Treasurer: Dean Burke (R-Bainbride); current: chair of community health subcommittee of appropriations, chair of Insurance and Labor, and caucus secretary/ treasurer of caucus